Friday, January 18, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Cherished

I'm back. I didn't exactly announce I was going away I just kinda did what with preparing for finals and finals and recovering from finals and holidays and me being too lazy to write anything. I'm currently working on two projects that are pretty heavy and will be longer than my usual short story and essays that I typically do. At least thats the plan. I've started many a novel/la that quickly turned into just another paragraph I stumble upon in the bowels of my Documents folder. They are usually met with a "what's this? i don't remember writing this...oh yes, i do. hmm, this is kinda good. meh, no it's not. where was i going with this? oh well, i'm sure it would have been good." So, we'll see what happens. I also have 17 hours this final semester so let's not get our hopes up people.

But for now I give you...Five Minute Friday.

--

His palm feels smooth against the fist I didn't realize I'd formed against my stomach. It sits on a knot that won't go away right below my left set of ribs. The knot twists and turns under my clenched fingers, telling me I've done something wrong again. I've caught a stray bread crumb in my soup or misread a label. His lips drift over my hair and he whispers secrets I already know in my ear to drown out the screaming of my old friend below my ribs. His fingers uncurl mine and he kisses each one. He's shaved recently, his cheek scratches against my skin, leaving a red trail across my knuckles. His hair is starting to curl under his ears and I wonder why he hasn't said anything about getting it cut. My fingernails are chipped, small patches of hot pink stand out against his tan chin. He pulls me in and my nose is cold against his warm neck. A mug of hot tea, three sugars for my southern blood, slides between my hands and the dogs sleep at our feet and the rain slips down the drain and the candle flickers and I am cherished in his arms and I have forgotten about the knot.



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm the blogger after you at Five Minute Friday!

    I loved your descriptions! I could see and feel this story. Best of all, it left me wanting to know more, which is something I always appreciate when I'm reading a story.

    17 hours! Whew! Makes me tired just thinking about it. I hope you find some peaceful moments in the midst of the crazy this semester!! Best of everything to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could so feel your pain and the comfort he gave you. Your story left me thinking and reading it again. May you continue to find comfort but also lean on the Father who can also give you comfort as He cherishes you too.
    I find myself breathing for you. in and out.
    I too have allergies that can bring discomfort and know that it is crazy not knowing what did it.
    Believing in Him giving you peace,
    Blessings,
    janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete